| || |
Many County services are just a click away
September 6, 2012
More and more services that once required a trek to a County government office are just a click away, whether you are at home or your favorite coffee shop.
"The Internet is an invaluable tool in changing the way we provide services and reshaping our expectations of local government," said Ira Rosenthal, Solano County's Chief Information Officer. “Through one portal residents can get access to a wealth of information, make decisions on that information, gain access to County services, and in some cases complete the entire transaction in the virtual world.”
Many County services still require that human interaction, but the Internet makes it easier for residents to be more informed about what they need to do before they seek services.
Rosenthal said the County continues to explore ways to make government more accessible, more convenient and more cost effective.
“This is an important shift in how we do business. With limited resources, we have to use smarter tools to deliver the services residents expect,” Rosenthal said.
The Solano County website is www.solanocounty.com. Many of the online services can be easily accessed by clicking on the orange button on the right-hand side of the screen.
Some of the many ways residents can do business online via the County’s website include:
- Businesses can register to be part of the District Attorney’s Bad Check Restitution program.
- Contractors that are registered with the County can apply for building permits online.
- Get a pet license for your dog or find out about animals available for adoption.
- Book an event at the Solano County Events Center.
- Use the SolanoHelps screening survey to determine if you might be eligible for different assistance programs ranging from CalFresh (food stamps) to veteran benefits, and information on how to access those programs.
- View Board of Supervisors meetings live on streaming video, or see past meeting videos dating back to June 2005.
- Bid on surplus items for sale.
- Gain access to the entire Solano County library system from reserving books to accessing its online databases with a virtual library card.
- Place a complaint on environmental health issues, affecting such areas as restaurants, solid waste, biosolids, public pool/spa, sewage disposal, housing and hazardous waste.
- Review the most recent food facility inspection reports.
- Explore what types of products and services that County agencies need, including details on becoming a vendor or how to respond to requests for proposals.
- Provide an inmate in a Solano County jail care packages.
- Search a variety of public documents from an online index of documents maintained by the Assessor-Recorder’s office.
- Request a copy of birth certificates, death certificates, marriage records and divorce records.
- Generate necessary forms to complete in advance when applying for permits and services.
- Look up details on properties in Solano County.
- Review your tax information and pay your tax bill.
- Check your vote-by-mail status, submit a vote-by-mail application, determine your voting district, look up your polling location or apply to be a poll worker in the next election.
- Keep current on your child support case.