To be eligible for IHSS, you must be one of the following; 65 years of age or older, legally blind, a disabled adult, or a disabled child. You must also:
· Be a California resident.
· Live in your own home. Your own is any place you choose to live, except a nursing home or other out-of-home care facility, licensed or not.
· Be a United States citizen or an immigrant lawfully admitted for permanent residence.
· Currently be on Medi-Cal in the county you are applying for IHSS services.
o Receive or be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income / State Supplemental Payments (SSI / SSP).
o Meet all SSI / SSP eligibility criteria except for income or citizenship / immigration status.
· If you do not receive SSI / SSP, your income and personal property will be used to determine your eligibility for IHSS.
Other Criteria for IHSS
· Income: If your income is above the SSI / SSP limits, you may be required to pay for a portion of your IHSS benefits. This is called a “Share of Cost”.
· Personal property may not exceed $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
· Property that is not included in determining eligibility includes:
o The home you own and live in
o One vehicle required for transportation to and from medical appointments / work
o All life insurance policies, if the combined face value is not more than $1,500
· Property that is included in determining eligibility includes:
o Cash on hand
o Checking and savings accounts
o Value of stocks, bonds and trust deeds
o Real property other than the home you own and live in
o Additional automobiles and recreational vehicles
o Promissory notes and loans
How to Apply for IHSS
· Call the ODAS IHSS referral line at (707) 784-8259, option 1, during regular office hours 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays and provide as much of the information below as is known regarding the person who is in need of IHSS:
o Name, gender, address, phone number, date of birth, social security number, ethnicity, language spoken; guardian / contact’s name, relationship and phone number; services being requested; diagnosis and symptoms; primary medical provider, their phone number, name of insurance coverage and medical record number; names and relationships of others in the home; name of current / prospective care provider (if any) and whether there is smoking or pets in the home.
· There may be a waiting list.
To report suspected fraud in the In-Home Supportive Services program, call (707) 784-8259.